Saturday, September 20, 2014

"You Should Write a Book!"

I have heard this suggestion numerous times from numerous people in the past 3 years. While I won't deny the fact that the challenge of writing a book intrigues me, I find it fascinating that people keep telling me that. "Are they really that interested in my mediocre life?" I wonder. Or maybe they are secretly thinking, "Your FB posts are entirely too long and so you need to just go write a book already." (I have been told something similar to the latter by my brother-in-law so I can't help but think that may be more of the case than the former.) Whatever the reason, the thought of starting my own blog began to plant and seed itself inside me (writing a blog just seemed much easier due to the whole process of publishing and then actually selling of a book). So in 2014, I made a New Years resolution to make it happen. I know you are thinking, "it's only September. What's the rush?"

To be honest, I did look into starting this right after the new year and I did what I do before I start anything new; I researched "how to start a blog". I found that to be a successful blogger, one should go into it with a clear idea of what the purpose is and that the blog should help teach or guide others in one specific area. For example, a photography blog would share secrets on getting the perfect lighting or the perfect pose and a cooking blog would be all about recipes and...what...temperatures for baking I guess. So, I spent the next 8 months pinpointing exactly what my blog readers would have in store for them: Nothing. You will probably not learn anything from reading this. It will, more than likely, be a complete waste of your time but isn't that what we have gotten good at - wasting time by reading about others' lives? Here's what I have and hope to offer you. I have 2 girls that say and do some entertaining things and I hope to provide some light-heartedness comedic relief in a world that often takes itself too seriously. At the end of all this, though, I will have a record of my girls' childhood so that when I'm old and they've left me and I have no memory left (since there is very little left in my 30s) I can sit back and reminisce about the days that went entirely too quickly. After I'm gone, they will have some sort of record of their childhood (since it's becoming apparent neither will ever have a finished baby book) and possibly some of the inner thoughts, fears, and revelations of their mom. And if our friends and family and maybe a stranger or two want to tag along for the ride, come on and welcome to the King household.

No comments:

Post a Comment